Katy finds family law particularly fulfilling because it allows her to assist clients with difficult, deeply personal issues. As an attorney, she believes it is important to use the training and knowledge that she has earned to help her clients achieve fair and reasonable results in their cases. She also feels strongly that it is our duty as attorneys to provide our clients with realistic expectations about their cases. She always remembers that, for her clients, the case at hand is very important to their lives and those of their children.
Katy was born in Washington, D.C., spent five years in Germany as the daughter of an Army psychiatrist, and then moved to Minnesota for the rest of her childhood. She earned a double major in International Affairs and Foreign Languages from Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. Although she loved the Pacific Northwest, she could not resist the pull of the mountains and moved to Colorado for graduate school.
While at the University of Denver, Katy focused on obtaining practical knowledge by participating in moot court and interning with a district court judge. She competed in the National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition for three years and the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition for two years. She also participated in the Environmental Law Clinic for one full year, where she represented clients in environmental litigation. She was an editor for the Denver Journal of International Law & Policy for three years, serving as Sutton Colloquium Editor and then as Editor-in-Chief. While she was earning her juris doctor, she also earned a masters of arts in international studies from the Josef Korbel School of International Studies.
After graduating, Katy clerked at the Colorado Court of Appeals for the Honorable Russell Carparelli for one year before entering private practice. While in private practice, she has focused almost exclusively on family law cases. She particularly enjoys handling appellate cases and has represented clients in appeals to the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Colorado Supreme Court.
Katy is fluent in Spanish and French.
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Family Law, 2014-2017
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Top 10 Attorney under the Age of 40, 2014-2015
- Member of the Colorado Bar Fellows since 2014
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Colorado
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for Colorado
- In the Interest of Child: B.B.O., 277 P.3d 818 (Colo. 2012)
- In re the Parental Responsibilities Concerning B.C.B., 2015 WL 1657631 (Colo. App. 2015)
- In the Matter of the Petition of A.T.M., 250 P.3d 703 (Colo. App. 2010)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Co-President, Byron White Inn of Court 2016-2017
- Co-Chair, International Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2012-2016
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, J.D.
Order of St. Ives, American Jurisprudence Award for Constitutional Law, Editor-in-Chief Denver Journal of International Law & Policy, Captain of Jessup International Law Moot Court Team, Captain of National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition Team
- University of Denver Josef Korbel School of International Studies, M.A. in International Studies
- Lewis & Clark College, B.A. International Affairs, Foreign Languages
- Colorado Appellate Pro Bono Committee volunteer
- Mi Casa Legal Night
- Family Tree Legal Clinics
- Regional Administrator for the Rocky Mountain Region of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition