Does Your Unemployed Ex Refuse to Pay Child Support?

August 6, 2010
Categories: Post Divorce Info | Author: Harris Law Firm

With the U.S. Department of Labor reporting the national unemployment rate at 9.5% as of June 30th, 2010,and Colorado’s jobless figure at 8.3%, more and more unemployed parents are unable to pay their court-ordered child support.  But what can the custodial parent  do if their former spouse has stopped paying child support and is currently not seeking employment?  

A family law attorney can investigate the non-paying parents circumstances to determine if they have funds to pay child support. Your attorney can help you to determine if they are collecting unemployment benefits, working for cash, or are living on funds not deposited in a bank.

While an attorney cannot ask the courts to force your former spouse to obtain employment, your lawyer can ask to submit your ex's history of willful unemployment.  If the courts determine that your former wife or husband is not seeking employment to satisfy their child support obligation, then it is possible for your lawyer to file a motion for Contempt of Court. 

0 Comments, 2579 Views

Leave a Reply

Fields marked with  * are required.

  1. (will not be published)
© Copyright 2015 Harris Law Firm. All Rights Reserved. Privacy