Name Changes for a Minor Child

April 6, 2009

To request a name change for a minor, you must file the following documents with the Colorado court:

Petition for Change of Name of Minor Child

Consent of the Non-Custodial Parent or Notice to the Non-Custodial Parent, or Request to Publish Notice and Order/Notice and Order/Notice to Non-Custodial Parent by Publication

Order for Publication of Name Change

Public Notice

Final Decree of Name Change

If the child has been the subject of an action regarding child support, parental rights or parenting time, you must file the documents in the District of Juvenile Court that handled the previous action. If the child not been the subject of these types of actions, the papers can be filed in the County Court. If the child is 14 years of age or older, he or she must obtain a criminal history check and be fingerprinted from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI)and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Located in Denver (303) 515-5000 and Fort Collins (970) 472-1838, The Harris Law Firm is Colorado's largest family law firm.  Focusing exclusively on Colorado Divorce and Colorado Child Custody and Support, the firm's philosophy is to work with you to resolve your legal matter in the best way possible. When you consult with one of our attorneys, the expert legal advice you receive will help you understand your rights and options according to Colorado law. And when you retain this AV rated firm, the many years of combined experience provided by your legal team will ensure that the resolution of your case is handled in the most organized, timely, cost efficient and effective manner possible. If you want to limit conflict and protect your rights, call us today to schedule a private consultation in our Denver or Fort Collins offices. Call us at 303 515 5000 or send us an email at

0 Comments, 1949 Views

Leave a Reply

Fields marked with  * are required.

  1. (will not be published)
© Copyright 2015 Harris Law Firm. All Rights Reserved. Privacy