Places to Contact When Your Name Changes

Changing your name following a divorce requires that you notify a number of agencies, offices, and companies, in order to change your name in every aspect of your life. Start the process by obtaining a certified copy of the decree permitting the change of name from the court clerks' office. Then, send a copy of the certified copy along with a letter asking that your name be changed. While not exhaustive, listed below are some of the common groups you should contact about your name change:

  • Professional licensing boards and associations
  • Drivers license bureau and state motor vehicle department.
  • Social Security
  • Internal Revenue Service
  • Insurance carriers (life, homeowners, auto)
  • Banks and credit unions
  • Credit card companies, including department stores that have issued them to you
  • Other creditors, such as your mortgage company, student loan source
  • Library
  • Subscriptions
  • Utilities
  • Alumni associations and service/community clubs

Located in Denver (303) 515-5000 and Fort Collins (970) 472-1838, The Harris Law Firm is Colorado's largest family law firm.  Focusing exclusively on Colorado Divorce and Colorado Child Custody and Support, the firm's philosophy is to work with you to resolve your legal matter in the best way possible. When you consult with one of our attorneys, the expert legal advice you receive will help you understand your rights and options according to Colorado law. And when you retain this AV rated firm, the many years of combined experience provided by your legal team will ensure that the resolution of your case is handled in the most organized, timely, cost efficient and effective manner possible. If you want to limit conflict and protect your rights, call us today to schedule a private consultation in our Denver or Fort Collins offices. Call us at 303-515-5000 or send us an email at


© Copyright 2015 Harris Law Firm. All Rights Reserved. Privacy