Richard Harris, the president and founding attorney of The Harris Law Firm, has repeatedly been voted to Super Lawyers in the field of family law. The Super Lawyer membership symbolizes recognition and affirmation from some of the greatest legal professionals in the U.S., and it represents the top 5% of U.S. attorneys in any given field. He has also recently been given the honor of Top Lawyer of Colorado by the Denver Post. As a testament to the quality of his practice, Mr. Harris also maintains a perfect Avvo rating of 10.0, graded by client satisfaction and peer recognition of his skills and abilities, and was recently elected as the President Elect for the Rotary Club of Denver.
However, all these awards and accolades are only the result of what makes Mr. Harris truly invaluable to his clients—his passion for making the law clear and accessible to those that need it. His passion is reflected in his skills as a legal writer in addition to his skills as a litigator, often offering his knowledge and experience in family law through writing legal articles. On top of his duties as the lead attorney for The Harris Law Firm, he has also co-authored the Colorado Family Law Deskbook, accessible here. While the firm offers services in all areas of family law, Mr. Harris’ personal practice focuses on divorce and child custody law in Colorado.
In addition to his professional work, Attorney Richard Harris is an avid supporter of domestic and international humanitarian causes. He is the founder of The Road to Hope, a non-profit devoted to developing the nation of Haiti through infrastructure, particularly by investing in children. He is also a board member of the Colorado Lawyers Committee, which seeks to promote and protect the legal rights of the underprivileged, including children, in the state of Colorado.
Mr. Harris’ journey into family law began at USC, where he earned a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations. While seemingly unrelated to family law, here Mr. Harris began his study of how to negotiate between two complex parties with clarity and precision, a skill he took with him to his law studies at the Sturm College of Law at the University of Denver. While his journey has taken him a long way from his home state of New York and his undergraduate studies in California, Mr. Harris is proud to call Colorado home, and is even prouder to lead The Harris Law Firm in serving the needs of families throughout his state.
- Colorado Super Lawyers: In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Rich was selected as one of Colorado Super Lawyers for Family Law. Super Lawyers are considered leading attorneys in the area of law in which they practice, and are selected via a survey of the state's top lawyers by Law & Politics Magazine.
- Top Colorado Lawyer: In 2015, a Top Lawyer of Colorado by the Denver Post
- Martindale-Hubbell™ selected Rich as a ‘2015 Top Rated Lawyer in Family Law. He currently holds an AV rating.
- AVVO: Rich currently holds a 10 ranking with Avvo, the highest ranking available.
- Colorado Supreme Court: From 2008 though 2016, the State Supreme Court annually recognizes Rich and The Harris Law Firm as a leader in pro bono activity.
- Law Week Colorado: In 2011, and 2012, Rich was voted Best Family Law Attorney by Law Week Colorado's Barrister's Best Issue, and the firm was voted Best Family Law Firm in Denver, by the People's Choice per Law Week Colorado in 2010.
- Top Ten Lawyers of the Decade: In 2011 Rich was the only family law attorney of the finalists for the Top Ten Lawyers of the Decade by Law Week Colorado.
- Colorado Lawyers Committee: In 2011, The Harris Law Firm was nominated as Law Firm of the Year by the Colorado Lawyers Committee (CLC).
- NAFLA TOP 10 Attorney Award for the state of Colorado, 2017.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
Memberships and Affiliations
- Rotary International – Rich was recently elected as the President Elect Nominee for the Rotary Club of Denver.
- The Road to Hope: Rich founded and currently serves as the President of "The Road to Hope", a Colorado-based non-profit organization dedicated to helping to promote development in Haiti, with a particular emphasis on children.
- CCAI: Board member, member of the Executive Committee. This Centennial Colorado based humanitarian organization focuses on promoting and facilitation international adoption, with an emphasis on placing children with special needs.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations from the University of Southern California
- Juris Doctor Degree from the Sturm College of Law at the University of Denver.
Publications and Presentations
- Trapped: Kids and the Lingering Aftermath of Divorce, Law Week Colorado April 2016
- Parenting Time, Marijuana, and Amendment 64: With the recent passage of Amendment 64 in Colorado, marijuana use is sure to become more of a factor in future Colorado family law cases.
- Filing for Divorce and Obtaining the Best Possible Outcome
- Rich Harris Was Featured in KMGH Denver 7News Story About Parenting & Marijuana
- Rich Harris Discusses Updates to Antiquated Colorado Adultery Law on KDVR Fox31 - Watch Video
- Should Family Lawyers Take A Hippocratic Oath?, Law Week Colorado
- Rich Harris: Family Lawyer, Business Leader, and Humanitarian, Memphisdivorce.com
- Preserving Children's Rights, Law Week Colorado
- Non-Nuclear Families Change Courts, Law Week Colorado
- Dividing Debt a Contentious Issue in Divorce Cases, Denver Business Journal
- Top Five Questions to Ask a Divorce Attorney
- List to Rich's Testimonial for Colorado Public Radio - Listen Now
- Rich co-authored the publication, Colorado Family Law Deskbook by Bradford Publishing.
- Colorado Supreme Court: From 2008 through 2015, the State Supreme Court recognized Rich and The Harris Law Firm as a leader in pro bono activity.
- Rich founded and currently serves as the President of The Road to Hope, a Colorado-based non-profit organization dedicated to helping to promote development in Haiti, with a particular emphasis on children.
- President of the Denver Rotary.