Attorney and Counselor at Law
Throughout her 30 years as a lawyer and trained mediator, Kimberly (Kim) has dedicated much of her career to developing educational systems and tools that enable a greater number of individuals to access the justice system. Kim has always had an interest in working with children and helping families establish orders that are in the best interest of children.
Kim began her career as a staff attorney at Pikes Peak Legal Services (PPLS) in Colorado Springs. While at PPLS, Kimberly wrote a book on how to do your own divorce. In 1989, Kim opened her own family law practice in Boulder which focused on representing domestic violence victims and families. Additionally, Kim worked as a child advocate representing and making recommendations regarding the best interest of children in divorce cases.
In 1990, Kim became a Trained Mediator and has used her insight in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) to enhance her own communication skills, expand her practice, and serve her community. She has served as a Volunteer Mediator for the City of Boulder Community Mediation Program, Boulder County Dependency and Neglect Mediation Project, and Denver Law School. She has also worked as a Mediation Coach for the Colorado School Mediation Project and an instructor for seminars on mediation in divorce through the YMCA of Boulder. From 1992-1994, Kim served as Co-Chair of the Boulder County Bar Association’s ADR Committee.
Kimberly has won recognition for her dedication and hard work from colleagues and the Bar Association. She has been awarded the Recognition of Excellence in Representing Children by the Boulder Interdisciplinary Council on Child Custody and the John Marshall Award for her commitment and dedication in providing legal services to the elderly and less fortunate of Boulder County.
After taking a short respite from the practice of law to raise her two sons, Kim became a Partner at Ebner & Gent, a law firm specializing in Social Security Disability law and mediation.
Prior to coming to The Harris Law Firm, Kim served as Executive Director of Alpine Legal Services, a small independent legal aid organization providing services from Aspen to Parachute, Colorado. While at Alpine, Kim developed programs using technology to allow individuals in rural areas the ability to access the advice of an attorney.
At The Harris Law Firm, Kim works in our LawYourWay℠ center where she helps individuals with the option of representing themselves with the guidance of an experienced attorney and mediator.
Kim enjoying family time with her sons.
- Recognition of Excellence in Representing Children by the Boulder Interdisciplinary Council on Child Custody
- John Marshall Award
- 2018-Family Law Section, Colorado Bar Association
- 2018-Modern Law Practice Initiative, Colorado Bar Association
- 2014-2018-Member of the 9th Judicial Bar Association
- 2014-2018-Member of the Pitkin County Bar Association
- 2017-2018 Garfield County Human Services Commission, Co-Chair
- 2014-2018 9TH Judicial Access to Justice Committee, Co-Chair
- 2016-2018 Senior Law Day Planning Committee, Garfield/Pitkin/Eagle County
- 2017-2018 Board of Directors, CASA of the 9th, Garfield County
- 2012-2014 Senior Law Day Planning Committee, Boulder County
- 2012-2014 Board of Directors, Firehouse Art Center, Longmont, Colorado
- 1996-2000 Community Mediation Program, City of Boulder, Volunteer Mediator
- 1996-1998 Dependency and Neglect Mediation Project, Volunteer Mediator
- 1997-1999 Colorado School Mediation Program, Mediation Coach
- 1988-1990 YWCA Divorce Education Project, Speaker
- 1998-1992 Volunteer Attorney at Boulder County Aids Project
- Mediation in Divorce Seminar Instructor, YMCA Boulder
- YWCA Divorce Education Project, Speaker
- Volunteer Mediator, Boulder County Dependency and Neglect Mediation Project
- Volunteer Mediator, City of Boulder Community Mediation Program
- Volunteer Mediator, Denver Law School
- Treasurer for Boulder Women’s Bar
- Board of Director-Firehouse Art Center, Longmont Colorado
- Board of Director-CASA of the 9th
- Co-Chair, Garfield County Human Services Commission