Peter B. Goldstein
Peter Goldstein is a Partner at The Harris Law Firm who draws from nearly 40 years of experience to assist clients in some of our most complex and consequential cases. His areas of focus include high-asset divorce, alternative dispute resolution, and other complex and high-conflict issues of family law.
Peter grew up in Connecticut and has lived and practiced law in Colorado since 1983. He received his B.A. in Psychology from Williams College, his J.D. from Hofstra University School of Law, and his M.B.A. from Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver.
Peter joined The Harris Law Firm as Special Counsel in January 2017, bringing with him a wealth of experience in family law, business, litigation, and health care. In the course of his career, he has been a COO of a 43-attorney law firm, a founder and managing partner of his own law firm specializing in business law and litigation, a management consultant in the health care consulting practice of Ernst & Young, and a subject matter specialist and consultant to health care providers and health insurance companies. He was also CEO and general counsel of a health care company in Denver, Colorado.
Drawn to law by his passion for helping others in need of solving complex problems, Peter has leveraged his diverse background in business, health care, and corporate leadership to assist business owners and high-net-worth clients with complex marital estates, unique assets, and challenging disputes. As a founder of his own law firm, he’s able to empathize with business owners going through divorce, understand the key issues they face in matters such as asset division, and cater appropriately to their need for creative resolutions.
In his practice, Peter helps clients understand what to expect to the greatest extent possible, as he recognizes that fear of the unknown can be a tremendous stressor. He is readily available to clients and takes as much time as needed to discuss their cases, identify their objectives, and come to agreement about the strategies and approach to best achieve them. And despite the challenges and high stakes inherent to the issues he handles, he maintains his professionalism to remain credible with Judges.
Clients appreciate Peter’s compassion, integrity, and ability to provide objective advice based on his diverse background and courtroom and life experience. These qualities have earned him widespread recognition, including Martindale-Hubbell’s highest AV Rating and selection to Colorado Super Lawyers.
Beyond his work advocating for clients, Peter is also actively involved in the legal and local communities. He serves in leadership roles as a volunteer on bar committees to enhance ethics and professionalism among attorneys and judges, and as a board member of a charitable organization that provides food and shelter to struggling and homeless individuals.
Peter is also a talented musician who enjoys playing the blues, reading, and being active outdoors.
In this photo Peter is playing the blues harmonica with the Bluedogs at Ziggies
- Former chair to the Committee on Conduct by the U.S. District Court Judges for the District of Colorado and began his 3 year term on October 1, 2017.
- Current CBA Chairman, CBA/DBA Professionalism Coordinating Counsel
- Member, Chief Justice’s Commission on Professional Development
- Member, Colorado Supreme Court, Hearing Board
- Colorado Bar Fellow
- Past Chair, CBA Legal Fee Arbitration Committee
- Current Member, CBA Ethics Committee
- Past Member, Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- ICG Denver, LLC v. Samantha Mueting, 13CA2102 (Colo.App.Div. 1, 2014) (Unpublished)
- Castle Rock Bank v. Team Transit, LLC, 292 P.3d 1077, 2012 COA 125 (Colo.App.Div. 5, 2012)
- LeFebvre v. Winter Meadows Ass'n, Ltd., 59 F.3d 178 (10th Cir. 1995) (Unpublished)
- Colorado Super Lawyers 2022
- AV Rating by Martindale Hubbell for 2017
- Voted to Top Lawyers by Peer Review for 2017
- Certificate of Recognition from the Colorado Legislature for contribution to the community
- Articles Editor, International Property Investment Journal
Clerk for The Hon. David Francis Jordan, U.S. Magistrate, U.S. District
Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Williams College, B.A., Psychology
- National Merit Scholarship Finalist
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Board Member and Program Director, Colorado Health Information and Management Systems Society
- Member, American Radio Emergency Service (ARES), Call Sign: KG0WN, General Class Ham Radio License
- Black Belt, Taekwon Do
- Daniels College of Business, University of Denver, Executive MBA
- Hofstra University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Lawyers' Liability for Attorney's Fees Awarded Against Clients, (12 Colo. Law. 1638, October 1983), Vol. 12, No. 10, Pg. 1638
- An Introduction to the CBA Ethics Committee. (9 Colo. Law. 21, January 1992)
- Co-Author, Journal of Academic Medical Institutions
- Co-Author of the WEDI/SNIP Privacy Policies and Procedure White Paper and articles in numerous professional publications
- "What Happens if I Win a Judgment in a Colorado Family Law Matter and I Don’t Get Paid?"- Denver Business Journal Article
Presenter at conferences of, or provided training to:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Ethics and Compliance Conference
- National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) Annual Conference
- Insurance and Accounting Systems Association (IASA),
- Yale-New Haven Health Systems
- Kansas City Medical Center
- Jewish Hospital and Healthcare Services
- National Plan Automation Group Annual Conference
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska
- University of Chicago Medical School
- University of Colorado Medical School
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association Conference, CLE Marketing Presentation
- Channel 7 Everyday Hero Award Recipient
- Co-Founder and Co-Chairman of A Group of Friends, a charitable organization
- Board Member, Douglas/Elbert County Taskforce