Open Accessibility Menu

If I Have Primary Custody, Can I Move Anywhere Out of State?

The Harris Law Firm

Are you wondering if you can move out of state with your children, if you have primary custody? The simple answer is that it depends. In some cases, primary parents can move out of state with their children. However, child relocation and custody modification can be a complicated matter. If not addressed when the initial parenting plan was established, the non-custodial parent can take issue and bring the matter to court. Usually both parties must revisit the custody agreement and make modifications.

When a parent considers relocating with their child, they must inform the other parent. Under Colorado statute C.R.S. 14-10-129(1)(a)(II), the primary parent must submit a written notification to their ex discussing the following:

  • Written notice with the intent to relocate
  • The new area they plan to move to
  • The reason for the relocation
  • Proposed revisions to the parenting plan

The primary parent must also inform the courts of their intended move. They must tell the court the reason for the relocation. When evaluating the family’s situation, the judge will consider what is best for the children. If they see that the children are doing well in their current location, prospering in school, and have a healthy social setting, they might not endorse the move. In addition, they will look at how the location change will affect the children’s relationship with their non-custodial parent. Alternatively, if the relocation seems like the best situation for the kids, judges will rule in favor of the custodial parent.

If you are divorced and plan to relocate with your child or children, call our Colorado child custody attorneys. We can help you revisit your parenting plan and help you with modification. Our firm understands the importance of doing what is best for your children. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and to ensure your family’s rights are protected.


Contact Our Colorado
Family Law Firm

If you are in need of a compassionate, skilled, and experienced Colorado family law attorney, The Harris Law Firm can help. If you have a legal question about a domestic relations issue, including divorce and the allocation of parental rights, please complete our contact form below. A member of our legal team will be in touch with you soon to arrange a private consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. Together we can find a resolution.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.