Open Accessibility Menu

Non-Parent Rights to Children

The Harris Law Firm

At The Harris Law Firm, we receive many questions from stepparents and grandparents regarding rights to children. Individuals other than parents can have rights to see and spend time with children under certain circumstances. Today, we want to address two common questions in particular:

  1. Can the court order a parent to grant the stepparent or the grandparent parenting time with the children?

Granting Stepparents and Grandparents Time with Children

In Colorado and most states, children are the responsibility of the biological parents. The parents are allowed to determine how the children are raised, subject to court orders. The only situation that might warrant individuals other than the parents to request parenting time is if the biological parents are not involved with their children for some reason.

In order to prove that stepparent parenting time or grandparent parenting time is in the child’s best interests, the party requesting parenting time must show the court that the biological parent is uninvolved and/or unfit to parent.

Sometimes, children have a strong bond with a non-parent, but that does not necessarily give the non-parent the right to ask for court ordered parenting time. An attorney can help a non-parent analyze a situation to see if a court would be able to award visitation or parental rights.

If you are currently facing an issue involving parenting time, we invite you to contact the Colorado child custody attorneys at The Harris Law Firm!


Contact Our Colorado
Family Law Firm

If you are in need of a compassionate, skilled, and experienced Colorado family law attorney, The Harris Law Firm can help. If you have a legal question about a domestic relations issue, including divorce and the allocation of parental rights, please complete our contact form below. A member of our legal team will be in touch with you soon to arrange a private consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. Together we can find a resolution.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.